You Will Need:
3 x large eggs
175g (6oz) caster sugar
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! So very simple!
Step 1 - Pre-heat the oven to 120°C (Fan Oven = 100°C)
Step 2 - Separate the egg whites (the yolks are not needed). Whisk the egg whites for a few minutes until they form stiff peaks.
Step 3 - Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon full at a time. Whisk the whites well after each addition. When you have added all the sugar you should be left with a stiff glossy mixture. If you turn the bowl upside down it shouldn't budge, if it falls out -Whoopsies!! Try again :)
Step 4 - Pipe your meringue onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper
Step 5 - Bake in the pre-heated oven for approx. 1hour30mins or until they can be easily lifted from the baking tray without sticking. Once ready turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and let them sit in there to cool
Step 6 - Serve with whipped cream and strawberries! YUM!
- Be very careful when separating the whites as any yolk or grease in the bowl will prevent the whites from fluffing up
- If you don't have caster sugar you could do what i did > I used normal granulated sugar, put it in a bowl and beat it with the end of a rolling pin (an attempt to crush it finer)
- When whisking you are aiming to get in as much air as possible so use a big bowl
- For the piping I decided to use a circular nozzle and create heart shaped nests (it was for Valentines Day) To do this pipe a heart shape then pipe on top of it going over the edges - gradually build the edges up so you have a dipped middle for the filling
- You could also use a star nozzle for a different appearance ( look at pictures for ideas)
|Heart Meringue Nests - I made these for Valentine's Day :)|
Happy Baking :)